Monday 12 September 2016

Review of the 92 #2 - Millwall

My trip to Fleetwood made me determine that it was a great away day if you wanted to do the full weekend in Blackpool but that will make it very expensive. Just the day there for me cost me a total of £39, this isn't too bad given how far away it was but it will be quite hard to budget going to London which is where I went to today to see Millwall face Coventry City in League One. The match report from the 1-1 draw between the teams can be found here:

http://aviewfromthestandss.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/my-thirteenth-1617-game-millwall-vs.html

 I'm going to enjoy writing about Millwall more than I did Fleetwood because it was a cracking away day to say the least. To start with, unlike last week, The Den is a new ground to me so I'm up to 41/92 on the personal tally and the blog tally is still sat on a measly 2/92 but don't worry, that will be up a lot more soon. I'm aiming for as close to 30 as possible by the end of the year.

  Unlike last week today I decided to make the trip on the train, which is usually more expensive but is a better way of travelling to matches in my opinion. From Coventry it cost me £23.50 as I get child tickets... The nearest station to the ground is South Bermondsey which is easily accessible from London Bridge, this is only a couple of tube stops away from Euston as well as Kings Cross St Pancras. Unfortunately I couldn't find Platform 9 and 3/4 but that's not why you clicked on the post.

 Nearby attractions include the small matter of the city of London, just having a drink in the pub I managed to go and visit The Shard as well as Tower Bridge. There are endless things you could do but bear in mind that it will cost extortionate amounts should you stay over and/or go out on the night after the match.

 The ticket for an adult was £26, this is slightly more acceptable than the £23.50 Fleetwood were demanding due to the fact the ground is a lot nicer with it being a 20,000 seater. This doesn't change the fact however that that is a ridiculous price for a third tier match and something definitely needs to be done about it.

 The food was not very well priced at £4.50 for a pie, I can't comment on the taste due to the fact I had an all day breakfast at 'The Shipwright's Arms' near London Bridge. It cost me £8.95 but it was an incredible bite to eat, everything about it was lovely, even the chips although I'm not sure why there were chips in a breakfast.

 Millwall fans, people have some BIG opinions on them. They built themselves up a reputation as hooligans during the 1980s but nowadays they have grown out of it whilst the police have cracked down on the fighting. Today it's just a load of teenagers who got some Stone Island jeans for Christmas and think they are hard when really, one punch from someone in their 40s whom they "give it to" would ruin them.

 Whilst there, there was one man who got ejected for jumping the barrier and trying to attack 800 Coventry fans. I won't go into too much detail but whilst he was out of order doing that it was partly our fault for provoking him. If you were at the game then you know what I mean but what I'm trying to say is that Milwall is nowhere near as bad as it used to be so you'll be safe going there. But always keep a look out.

  Milwall is a decent away day because the fans will always provide you with some banter, and it's in  London so you can take your pick of what you want to do before and after the match. Down to the money, £26 for the ticket, £23.50 for the train ticket, £8.95 for the all day breakfast, and £6 for the couple of drinks I had. That brings our Milwall total to £64.45 at the very least.

  The third club review was supposed to be Derby County but my plans have changed since then so it's going to have to be my home club of Coventry City when we play Oldham Athletic on Saturday. I'm hoping to do 3 more before the end of September and like I say, hope that I can get close to 30 clubs before the end of the year. Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment