Monday 24 October 2016

Review of the 92 #5 - Charlton Athletic

I have absolutely no idea why, but I completely forgot to do the Charlton review. So I apologise but here it is 10 days late... 5 League One clubs in a row, I know, it's fairly bad, but Coventry have been dealt a good hand in the Checkatrade Trophy and FA Cup respectively so after Walsall at the end of the month I shall be doing Morecambe and Wycombe. Still however I need to get the first Championship and Premier League clubs on the board. With a busy Christmas schedule coming up for nearly everyone I'm sure it will be done.

 If you want to see my report on the Charlton match then you can do so here:

http://aviewfromthestandss.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/my-nineteenth-1617-game-charlton.html

Away day price table:

Millwall: £64.45
Gillingham: £52.40
Port Vale: £42
Fleetwood Town: £39

 Easily accessible from London Victoria, which is just a tube ride away from Euston amongst other stations. The all day all trains pass I got from Coventry throughout London cost £26.60, it would have been £16 had I not got on a Virgin Train instead of a London Midland. Technically it was London Midland's fault in the first place, my connecting train to Coventry was late getting in so I missed that. The perfect start to the day.

 Luckily I had a friend who bought an extra ticket for a no show, this meant I got it off him for cheaper than they were selling it for at £8. But an adults ticket would set you back a hefty £23, I know other teams are doing exactly the same but for third tier football that is ridiculous, it feels like I'm saying that every week. Hopefully it will be better with the League 2 clubs I have coming up.

 However you get what you're paying for with the Valley, it's one of my favourite grounds in the league, mainly because I prefer older grounds in comparison to the likes of the Ricoh or Stadium MK. The 27,000 seater is in a fairly nice area of London which as I've previously said is fairly easy to get to.

 Charlton's fans, probably the nicest I have come across in my years of going to football. Everyone that went on the march and took part with the SISU/Roland protests, giving us the pigs to throw on the pitch. Even the banter at the train station afterwards was great. No trouble whatsoever, I really can't stress how great they were to us. I wish them all the best of luck with getting Roland out.

  I didn't eat at the ground, instead I got 20 chicken nuggets from McDonald's at London Victoria station (I was hungry) for £4.39. I did a good job of disguising them in my coat in Spoonies as well, I'm not too sure on their rules of food but I doubt it would have been allowed. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. A couple of drinks in there added up to another £6.60.

 Train for £26.60, match ticket for £23, food for £4.39 and drinks for £6.60. Add all that together and you have £60.59, coming in at 2nd place just £3.86 less than Millwall. These London away days are really the expensive ones, however I won't be down there again properly on the train until February when we play Wimbledon. Next up though we have Walsall just a few junctions along the M6 which should be a nice and cheap one. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment